ENTER THE REHEARSAL HALL -- WHERE THE MAGIC BEGINS!

There is something magical about sitting in an audience as the house lights dim.

The buzz in the room settles into quiet anticipation as we wait to be transported into someone else's world, someone else's story. But what we see on the stage is just the culmination of weeks, sometimes months of work behind the scenes by artists of all description: actors, directors, designers, wardrobe people, carpenters, painters, sound and light experts and others.

This blog will give you a fly-on-the-wall glimpse into that unknown world, following the rehearsal process.
This will be your guide to the hard work, fun and weirdness of putting together a play
for a professional theatre company.

You'll never watch a play in the same way again!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wednesday, October 3 -- Day Twenty-Three

Went to PTE again today and sat in on a run-through of Act Two before I was called away to have my picture taken with a bunch of beer bottles. Boy, did that take me back. If you don't already know about the beer bottles I will tell you: in honour of PTE's 40th, Half Pints Brewery has made commemorative beer labels for two of their fine products. There are seven labels, each commemorating a different PTE show. So you will be able to come to PTE and order a Secret Mask beer, or a Selkirk Avenue beer. How cool is that? And you can even "Drink The Brink."

Speaking of Opening Night. I plan not to Drink The Brink until the lobby clears out most of the way. I have a feeling I'll need to keep my wits about me. What am I supposed to wear, do you mind telling me that? One friend advises me to avoid Looking Like I'm Trying Too Hard. As it turns out, this is a look that takes a considerable amount of effort to achieve. I showed my daughter a dress I was thinking of and she vetoed it on the spot. "You are NOT wearing THAT." Back to the drawing board.

Later today at PTE today I spent a pleasant half-hour telling Kevin Prokosh all about everything. Then I watched a whole run of Act Two, and it's looking good. Real good. It's still magic to me when you write some stuff down on paper and then they do it, and it looks very much like it did in your head, and better. The rehearsal hall is a wonderful place. And I can honestly say that this whole experience has done nothing to diminish my love of theatre. I'll have to get jaded another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment