ENTER THE REHEARSAL HALL -- WHERE THE MAGIC BEGINS!

There is something magical about sitting in an audience as the house lights dim.

The buzz in the room settles into quiet anticipation as we wait to be transported into someone else's world, someone else's story. But what we see on the stage is just the culmination of weeks, sometimes months of work behind the scenes by artists of all description: actors, directors, designers, wardrobe people, carpenters, painters, sound and light experts and others.

This blog will give you a fly-on-the-wall glimpse into that unknown world, following the rehearsal process.
This will be your guide to the hard work, fun and weirdness of putting together a play
for a professional theatre company.

You'll never watch a play in the same way again!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday, October 9 - Day Twenty-Nine, Two Days Before Opening Night

RobYn Slade & Evan Hall, photo by Bruce Monk
"Are you excited?"

Everybody I talk to is asking me that. I keep saying "yeeeesssss..." because I am excited but it's more complicated than that. I was feeling mostly terrifically anxious until Saturday or so, when the SUPREMELY IMPORTANT QUESTION "what am I going to wear?" was finally settled. I'm going to wear heels for sure. It might help to feel tall. And about that same time, the cast went into tech runs and dress rehearsals and it is really too late to do anything about any of it now, so time to let all of it go as best I can. This play might suck. But at least in a couple of days I'm going to know.  It's a long time to wonder, while writing a play, how people might respond. There is no real way to know until...you know. One of my treasured advisers said "Even if it's everything bad a play can be, it won't change anything important. You will still love the people you love. They will still love you."

I'm kind of curious what I'll find to think about after all this. Maybe, I don't know, maybe I'll think about serious things going on in the world. Maybe I'll think about other people, wouldn't that be something? I follow the rehearsal schedule from home and the team has been plenty busy. Hope they're doing all right.  Hope they're not too tired, but I know they are.
 
Okay. Yes, I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment