ENTER THE REHEARSAL HALL -- WHERE THE MAGIC BEGINS!

There is something magical about sitting in an audience as the house lights dim.

The buzz in the room settles into quiet anticipation as we wait to be transported into someone else's world, someone else's story. But what we see on the stage is just the culmination of weeks, sometimes months of work behind the scenes by artists of all description: actors, directors, designers, wardrobe people, carpenters, painters, sound and light experts and others.

This blog will give you a fly-on-the-wall glimpse into that unknown world, following the rehearsal process.
This will be your guide to the hard work, fun and weirdness of putting together a play
for a professional theatre company.

You'll never watch a play in the same way again!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday, October 2 -- Day Twenty-Two

It Bears Repeating:

At the Season Launch last night (which is when the donors are invited to hear Bob's overview of the season to come, over wine and cheese ) ,I was standing around the lobby feeling awkward. Then I noticed that they were short-handed behind the bar and was more than happy to pitch in. It gave me something to do, and Bruce Michalski (PTE's Publicity Coordinator) is good fun. I used to tend a little bar years ago, quite badly, and when my turn came to speak to the donors, it seemed appropriate to thank them for donating to PTE so that I could have a career in my chosen field and not have to tend bar. It bears repeating; thank you, donors.

A woman in the audience was kind enough to tell me that she "vividly" remembers two shorter pieces I wrote, one of them at least fifteen years ago. The other piece - I'd kind of forgotten about it - was a Short Shot about a guy wiring a Jeanne Cake with explosives and threatening to take out the whole airport unless the Jets were brought back, so that must have been a few years ago too. There may not always be hockey, but there will always be Jeanne Cakes. It was nice to feel I'd made a connection with an audience member way back when.

No comments:

Post a Comment