ENTER THE REHEARSAL HALL -- WHERE THE MAGIC BEGINS!

There is something magical about sitting in an audience as the house lights dim.

The buzz in the room settles into quiet anticipation as we wait to be transported into someone else's world, someone else's story. But what we see on the stage is just the culmination of weeks, sometimes months of work behind the scenes by artists of all description: actors, directors, designers, wardrobe people, carpenters, painters, sound and light experts and others.

This blog will give you a fly-on-the-wall glimpse into that unknown world, following the rehearsal process.
This will be your guide to the hard work, fun and weirdness of putting together a play
for a professional theatre company.

You'll never watch a play in the same way again!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Friday, September 21 -- Day Eleven

I haven't blogged in a couple of days, since I haven't been in rehearsal and have nothing to report. I've been home with sick kids, plus I know I'd only be in the way. They are doing scenework and I have to say I'm feeling just a little bit guilty. Bob emailed to say that yesterday's rehearsal was "all about packing boxes." I am also an actor, and I know there are some things you end up doing in a play that make you want to write to the playwright and say: "Really? was there no way to write this that would avoid me having to do this?" So actors:  I'm sorry about the box-packing scene but no, there wasn't any other way that I could think of and the story has to be told. So I'm sorry, but not really.
Also: I have not been cleaning my house as I said I would. Nor have I learned to play the guitar. Guilty.

And when you type the word "guilty" several times it starts to look weird. It's probably a word we could all stand to use less often. It's weird-looking and what good does it do?

No comments:

Post a Comment