ENTER THE REHEARSAL HALL -- WHERE THE MAGIC BEGINS!

There is something magical about sitting in an audience as the house lights dim.

The buzz in the room settles into quiet anticipation as we wait to be transported into someone else's world, someone else's story. But what we see on the stage is just the culmination of weeks, sometimes months of work behind the scenes by artists of all description: actors, directors, designers, wardrobe people, carpenters, painters, sound and light experts and others.

This blog will give you a fly-on-the-wall glimpse into that unknown world, following the rehearsal process.
This will be your guide to the hard work, fun and weirdness of putting together a play
for a professional theatre company.

You'll never watch a play in the same way again!

Monday, September 17, 2012

Friday, September 14 - Day Four

The PTE Playwrights Unit is getting its own swanky office/library/workroom with desks and comfy chairs and everything. It's not ready yet, so in the meantime I have a desk I can use in the Stage Management office. Why do I suddenly have the urge to be very very organized? Wayne and Peter (thank you both) got me a couple of lamps because flourescent lights make my muse shrivel up and die. 

Next to the desk there is a window overlooking the Rehearsal Hall. When I look in, I can see them working away and it looks just like a real play: very exciting. At about 2PM I looked in and Steven was wearing his character's paper printer's hat. A couple of hours later, half the cast, at least one Stage Manager and the director were all wearing them. Good times.

I am finishing up the major changes and creating a nice clean script so the actors don't have to keep writing stuff in and inserting pages. I have one more scene to rework, and then I'll stop monkeying with it (mostly) so they can learn it. And I hearby promise, promise, PROMISE not to make Lillian's monolgue any longer. I am aware that it's driving Megan to a brink of her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment